Papillion Landing; Community Center & Fieldhouse
Papillion Landing is the new home of the Papillion Recreation Department. Creating an exceptional Quality of Life for all its citizens is number one for the City of Papillion, and Papillion Landing is a prime gathering space for residents to connect.
TD2 has been working across disciplines and in many capacities:
- Land Acquisition – In late 2016, the original site selected shifted slightly east between Cheyenne Drive and Overland Trail to provide better layout options.
- Creek – wetlands mitigation, floodplain development permit, and 404 & 408 Corps permits
- Grading – Overexcavation and surcharge were required for the building pads to improve and pre-compress the site’s softer soils.
- Infrastructure – utilities, sewer, and water
- Access – A related TD2 project, Lincoln St. Improvements (hyperlink).
- Built first and opened late in 2018, the 81,000 SF Field House is a huge superstructure of one pre-engineered metal building and one conventionally steel-framed building that adjoin a central two-story space.
- Open as of January 2020, the 96,000 SF Recreation Center and 23,000 SF Community Center are conventionally constructed and contain a mixture of steel framing, precast concrete wall panels, and cross-laminated timber (CLT).
- Natural materials of wood and glass are used structurally and architecturally inside and out.
- Spread footing foundations.
- Roofs are either terraced, flat, or sloped metal standing seam.
- A custom tube steel truss supports the roof and track on the west elevation.
- The natatorium roof and walls are framed with glulam beams, columns, and CLT panels.
The City Council has given the go-ahead to the addition of a softball complex and soccer fields to the north.
Photo Credit: Photos courtesy of the City of Papillion.