UNL College of Business (Howard Hawks Hall) – Lincoln, NE
The “C”-shaped building combines curtain wall and limestone façades for a dramatic architectural effect. From the roof to the deep foundations, this jewel on campus was supported by TD2’s structural engineering design.
- Steep metal roof with an integral gutter system achieved with notched steel beams
- “The Cube” – 2 stories wrapped in dark glass accomplished with carefully hidden cantilever beams
- Limestone clad classroom and office wings feature a central 4-story atrium bookended with multi-story glass curtain wall features containing grand stairs and landings
- Monumental stairs — cantilevered with no columns, the complex geometry accomplished by double curves rolled in two directions
- Lower level — two large 22-ft. high column-free auditoriums required large bridge girder-style steel beams with flange plating
- Deep foundations – auger cast piles needed for the large size of the building
- An underground system of pipes and pumps to mitigate high groundwater – all footings wrapped in a membrane to prevent water infiltration
To learn more about the project, contact us.